My other blogs

See some of my other blogs
My WW2 experiences
The war memories of Bill Sheldon who is the husband of Virginia Sheldon Kays cousin.
An allmost daily update of an apartment construction project near here. You can watch it grow as I take a picture from the same location every day it is under construction.
A very interesting blog of various slide shows showing Afghanistan, I have a friend in Afghanistan who sends me pictures. These are the real thing. He is in Kabul

How to find someone or subject

I tried different ideas on how to find a subject or someone's post and have concluded that the best way is to just do a simple search. Press ctrl+f to find what you are looking for then type in the subject in the search box. Or click on a lable to find a particular author.



Story is ongoing

This is an ongoing story. If you have read it before go to the end to pick up the story. To see a specific author scroll down a page or two and you will find a list of authors and how to find them. This is one long blog to keep the time line in sequence.

This blog is continually updated with new pictures, comments and re-writing. Especially with new posts by some of the contributors listed. That is beginning to move better now. There is still lots to learn and how to do it better.

Anyone who wants to contribute please contact me by way of comment. You are welcome.

Later.................

So far my bright idea has been a big bust. People are interested but not interested enough to post their stories. So instead I will continue to add to the blog as I manage time from other projects. There is a lot of story to tell yet! What the hey! Others have written 500 page books from less material than I have in 87 years. Stay tuned!

Subjects in this story


Early family history1910-20 with grandparents
Moving to CA and Blythe where I was born
How poor we were
Opossum hunting
The migration
Chowchilla and Central School
Rusty almost died and I burned my self very bad,
Working in the fields near Yakima
Working for school lunch money.
Riding the rails
A fish boat to Alaska
Kay's story of our trip to Alaska trip on Loyal's boat. A must read!

Exciting subjects coming up

Trip to Alaska with brother Loyal. It is here now. Scroll down to 1960+ or do a find to read Kay's story. and see some pictures

Friday, February 15, 2008

Riding The Rails

To see a full page picture click on the thumbnail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>In a year or two Loyal my brother bought me a guitar so he might have worked somehow although we went to the fields over at Yakima and worked.


I will try and post here... The window looks a bit strange but maybw that's the way is is supposed to look ? daD, can you see what this looks like and let me know how it works out ??? The edit window looks kind of lop-sided and the right side is kind of chopped off. I am not sure how this works or if it is working correctly.

boB 3-8-2008

boB said...

>>In a year or two Loyal my brother bought me a guitar so he might have worked somehow although we went to the fields over at Yakima and worked.

Music was all around our house. Tom (brother) played trumpet when I was little so maybe that's why I started playing trumpet in fourth through 6th grade, which elementary school went up to back in the 60s. I played "The Marine's Hymn" at a talent show for Lake Forrest Park (LPF) elementary in 6th grade. It went well and people clapped etc. and I sure didn't expect someone (a teacher?) to accompany me on the piano. No standing ovation that I can remember though.
Dad (Doyal) taught guitar back then on the side. He was real good, (and still is whenever he picks one up), and although I play guitar now, I didn't take lessons from him way back then. I'm not sure why, but maybe I wasn't ready then because I started taking piano lessons from our wonderful neighbor, Margaret Sparling (PICTURE OF Mrs. SPARLING HERE)
who taught everybody piano including my best childhood friend, Craig Campbell, who now teaches science and P.E. for Edmonds School district after getting a degree in biology. Mom played piano too and was very good whenever I asked her to play for me. I eventually started writing music with my life-long friend since high school, George Marshall, who is the one that actually taught me how to play guitar. My dad taught me a LOT, and most of my more useful talents like photography, film, electricity and way more than there would be space for on Google's servers ! Has he mentioned that he was a famous (locally) TV news reporter, travel documentary moviemaker (TV) and self employed businessman (TV repair shops) ??...

To see a full page picture

Click on the thumbnail.